Starting off in Voiceover - Equipment

Quote · 1532 days ago · 1 people like this ·

This forum is devoted to helping new voice artists figure out what they need to record from home. We'd love to see your recommendations for gear, software, and particular set-ups for different kinds of recording. Please ask your questions about gear here so we can all learn from each other. 

Shannon Fugal, VAU Director of Social Media Relations. Questions? Please message me!
Quote · 1432 days ago · 0 people like this ·

If you use Mac (and I never regretted saying farewell to pc for creative work!) an excellent software for recording and editing is Twisted Wave.  Much easier to work with than Audacity, and bargain priced with free updates.   Has what you need for solo voice, minus pointless distractions.  An independent design from the genius Thomas Thiery, it has a superb interface in the best Mac tradition.   With a single mouse or pad gesture, you can zoom from an hour-long chapter, to half a dozen digital bits, if you really need detail!

If you choose to post-process your work (and lots of people don't do that at all) TW will pull in the Apple noise gate, compressor, limiter, EQ,  as well as several other FX such as reverb not generally used in primary voiceover.  Or you can buy better 'VST' or 'AU' plug ins  - I love the FabFilter range: great sound and outstanding visual readouts of what's happening.  Their Pro-C compressor is a masterpiece.   I have no connection with those companies, nor with Rode who make the well-regarded NT1A condenser mic.

Quote · 1075 days ago · 0 people like this ·

If you are new to your DAW software, spend some time to find the things it can do, and use keyboard shortcuts in addition to the mouse to  make editing less of a chore.  I personally love producing finished projects, I can fart around for hours (so says my wife) doing so, but smart editng is the way to go.

As an audiobook producer, I utilize the "punch and roll" feature found in Sound Forge and Pro Tools to edit on the fly.  For some reason I prefer to edit and master in Adobe Audition because the waveform looks more precise, and I can hear how a plugin makes my audio sound with just a click.

Try different DAWs to see which one is best for you.  Perhaps Audacity is all you need. Don't buy anything more complicated until you are drawn to it. The sounds recorded by them all will be digital, and unaffected by cost.  It is the ease of use and "bells and whistles" you pay more for.

Audacity Voiceover Users group is on Facebook, and is a wealth of information. Paul Licamelli is the big guy there, and the whole gang will be happy to answer all questions, newbie or not.

I will help anyone if I can, feel free to post if you like.

Peter G White

PeterWhiteVoices.com